Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: The Return of the Living Dead


Recently, a co-worker showed me a link (which sadly I can't seem to relocate) of the top 25 must see zombie films.  Of this list, I had seen about half of the mentioned films.  I decided to try and see the other half, starting with this gem here.

The Return of the Living Dead begins with Freddie learning about his new job at a medical supply warehouse.  During the lull of the evening, his new found boss lets him in a a little secret - the military has accidentally left some very big mistakes in their possession. After a freak accident, all hell breaks loose!

Likes - 
To my surprise, I really enjoyed this film.  It is a great product of the 80's.  At times, it is stupidly funny.  Other times, I actually jumped out of my chair.  Also, the zombies in this film are different from the ones normally portrayed.  I'll leave that to you to find out how.  The special effects are really good and really create a very creepy atmosphere.  The main group of kids was refreshing to see as well.  It was a mix of all different genres prevalent during the time.  It was nice seeing everyone get along, at least in the beginning, when the biggest concern was where to party. 

Dislikes - 
This is a minor one - the make-up for the zombie horde scenes is absolutely terrible.  It is just normal people covered in mud.  The effects and make-up are kinda uneven.  At times, the imagination put into the monsters is superb, other times it seems like they honestly didn't care.  The same could be said about the acting.  At times completely over-the-top, other times it was dead on.  This one is minor though too, since the over-the-top moments really add some cute charm to the film.  

Overall - 
This was a very good zombie film and a fun film, in general.  I'm glad I made the time to watch this film and I plan to watch a few sequels spawned from this.  4 stars our of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment