Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: Mushi-Shi (anime)


Nothing special regarding how I started watching this series.  Netflix recommended it.  I read the description and figured it was worth the shot.  What a pay off though!

Mushi-Shi is about Mushi Master Ginko, a man who travels the lands, doing what he can to help those afflicted by mushi and trying to get a souvenir when he can.  This series is very episodic, each episode containing a full story.  The full series has no ultimate goal or climax. Instead, we see different people having different troubles.  Ginko tries his best help each one out.

Like - Though I'm not a big fan of series that don't have an ultimate plot, I really enjoyed this one.  The main reason being Ginko was such an unassuming, endearing main character.  He viewed the people afflicted by the mushi and the mushi themselves both as being victims of circumstance.  Ginko is a mix of ghostbuster, MacGuyver, and Doctor Who.  Not one to allow anyone to die, he has to find a solution where everyone, mushi and person, can walk away better off.  The animation itself wasn't anything special but the scenes were very beautiful.  Seeing the world still untouched by modern progress in each episode was really enticing.  The animators were able to create a gorgeous landscape that I had no regrets getting lost in.  The last great piece of the series was the music.  It was more orchestral then other series I've watched previously.  All these elements together create a series that was very mellow but was still very inviting.  Something truly unique.

Dislike - This isn't much of a dislike as much as it is a possible different direction.  It would be nice to see the series go towards a larger climax.  The last episode actually had very little of Ginko, though he still played a big role.  Other then that, I can offer no improvements to this show.

Overall - I really enjoyed this series.  I actually put off watching my normal slew of films of drama and horror so that I could watch the next episode of Mushi-Shi.  It's hard for me to put my finger on it exactly, but I think the characters, specifically Ginko, really drew me in.  I was glad to watch this series and I think you should too.  5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment