Sunday, January 1, 2012

Review: Portlandia (series)


Pure and simple, Netflix recommended this.  And it was a home run!

Portlandia is a sketch comedy show starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein.  The easy episode has a very loose, shallow plot.  It works for the show though.  Portlandia is a caricature of life in Portland, and to me, a send up on the hipster/new age living that I come across everyday. 

Likes - I loved this show.  It was only 6 episodes and I watched them all in one sitting.  There isn't anything else like this.  Personally, I deal with this kinda organic, green conscious daily.  It was great to see someone be able to pick out all the foibles and shortcomings of this green friendly crowd.  The women's bookstore owner skits were great and so spot on.  The opening song "I Dream of the 90s" really set the tone for the whole series.  One thing I really enjoyed is how the different skits were linked together.  The shrunken sweater in one skit was carried over the to the dumpster in another.  It's this kind of detail that really showed the time and care put into the show.  

Dislikes - My one grip is the series length.  6 episodes? REALLY!?!?  They could have done so much more 

Overall - I absolutely loved this show.  I started it just to help pass the time but it became a new obsession that only lasted an evening.  For anyone who is a fan of Scott pilgrim or is annoyed by the the kids who frequent coffee shops, this is for you!  Watch the first season and then be prepare for the 2nd one! It starts next week, January 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment