Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review: I'm Still Here



So, I'd had this movie at my house for over a month.  I was very hesitant to watch it mainly because I thought I had to be in a particular mood.  Finally, I figured "New Year, New Movies"  So I popped this in just to say I'd watched it.  Turns out the movie was a very unique experience.  And a pleasant surprise too.

The premise of the film is such - Famed and recognized actor Joaquin Phoenix (JP) has decided to quit acting and pursue is true love and creative outlet - Hip Hop.  The events that follow after this are an interesting mix of true ambition, confusion, and harsh realities.  The film begins with JP beginning his journey into music by officially announcing his foray into music.  What follows is a barrage of news outlets being confused.  His inner circle, though, trust his judgement and weather the storm with him.  These are where some of the more memorable scenes occur.  The genuine surprise of people like Mos Def hearing this is great.  Also there is a snow angel scene which I loved.  The prostitute arc was pretty funny too.  As things progress you see JP deal with all the haters.  Soon, the nay-saying, along with a difficult truth, takes its toll.

I put this movie in not expecting to get invested into it.  As it went on, I found myself hooked and putting off other things to watch it.  For one, the movie is very self aware.  There are numerous points where they mention how the press thinks the whole career shift is a hoax.  It even comes to the forefront. I thought that was very smart on the film makers part.  At times it was very funny and at other points very sad and moving.  Overall, I give the movie 4 stars.  I was expecting to give it 2.  I just thought the film was smart and honest.  You can't ask for more then that in a documentary or even a mockumentary.  I recommend this to those who enjoy the awkward humor of The Office, those you loved This is Spinal Tap, or for those possibly looking for a more mature Scott Pilgrim.

No comments:

Post a Comment