Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review: Due Date

Due Date was a film coming from the same producer of the Hangover (whatever that means).  It has one of my most favorite actors Robert Downy Jr. and Zach Galifianakis is always entertaining.  A great recipe for a good time.

Due Date is a film about Peter Highman, an highly successful architect who is traveling home to LA to be with his wife.  She is having their first child and Peter is on a mission to be with her during the birth.  After having an unfortunate encounter with Ethan, he has been added to the No-Fly list.  He is forced to drive cross country with the same man who forced him into this predicament.  It is a modern and hilarious odd couple pairing.  

Likes - I enjoyed this film. It has its LOL moments but I think there was a bit more dry and subtle then 'The Hangover', which I can appreciate. The plot progressed pretty nicely and didn't drag or feel belabored at any point.  There wasn't a huge cast of colorful characters, though Danny McBride's appearance is a definite and wonderful exception.  Galifianakis is enough of a strange and lost character to carry the film.  Downey was in classic form here, playing a non-hero version of Tony Stark, with a major mean streak.  It felt good watching him lay into people.  Personally, it made up for all the times in my life I tried being decent and informing people how they need to stop being themselves and to read a book. 

Dislikes - There was nothing overt that I disliked.  I had high hopes for this film based on the crew and behind the scenes team involved.  The film did deliver but lacked that extra 'omph' I was hoping for.  Again, the plot was executed well, which is a major point for me in any story, be it film, TV, or book.  

Overall - Good film.  Maybe even great film but I think that would be shown over time.  I needed something light, funny and heartfelt. I got it with Due Date.  An added note, I think this is great date film. 4.5 out of 5 stars from this guy.  GO WATCH IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment