Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: I Saw the Devil

I Saw the Devil is the latest Korean Horror film.  It focuses on the them of revenge.  After watching the revenge trilogy last month or so, I was excited to get more!  When I saw this was a nearly added instant stream title, I dropped everything to watch this. It was an interesting, unexpected ride but one I would definitely make again.

I Saw the Devil follows Kim Soo-hyeon, a special agent of the National Intelligence Security.  His fiance is brutally murdered by a serial killer, Kyung-chul.  Kyung-chul is an apathetic man, killing anyone who he feels slights him in the slightest way.  This film follows Soo-hyeon's catch and release of Kyung-chul.

Likes - This film is absolutely unrelenting and brutal.  When other films would cut away or imply an event has occurred, Jee-woon Kim keeps the scene going, forcing the viewer to see the true lengths these men will go, for survival, for revenge.  With this mentality, we see tendon being severed.  We see excrement being sifted.  We see limbs and leftovers being mixed together.  As disturbing as this might sound, it all makes for a rather beautiful sight.  The violence borders on both the ultra but also the poetic.     As I've mentioned before, what gets me loving the movie is the plot.  This was a story never told, an original tale.  If this was told again, it wouldn't have the same fluidity or flow as  I Saw the Devil.  Where other movies would have been done during after the first hour and half, I Saw the Devil took it a step further and added nearly an hour more of excitement and tension.  Mind you this is not at all pointless either, but really helps drive the point of how far Soo-hyeon will go for true revenge for his fiancee.  

Dislikes - I did not have anything major I disliked.  If I had a complaint,it would be my weak stomach had a hard time watching some scenes.  Nonetheless, I still manged to keep my eyes uncovered for the whole film.  That's pretty amazing.

Overall - Absolutely wonderful film.  Its strange all the angles I've been seeing through film about this topic - revenge.  Its becoming a great ride.  I give this movie 5 stars and implore you to watch is as soon as you can!  And try to eat light before you do, otherwise it might not sit well with you after awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment