Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom


Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is a very redundant and poorly worded series title.  Thankfully, the series itself was crafted in a much more thoughtful fashion.  As usual lately, I was in need of a new anime series to follow, especially since the US TV season is on break.  Netflix suggested this to me.  I  was hesitant but after the 3rd episode, I was hooked.  This series proved completely worth my time.  I even found myself losing sleep. I was so engrossed with the story I would stay up way past my bed time.  

Phantom follows Zwei, a Japanese boy who has no memory of his past.  He finds himself fighting for his life the moment he awakens.  After his initial struggle, he is taught the ways of the assassin by his predecessor, Eins.  Soon, with his new abilities, we watch has Zwei rises and falls with Inferno, the organized crime syndicate he works for.

Likes - I didn't just enjoy this series, I loved it.  The story was great.  There was alot of development for all the major characters involved.  Specifically, Zwei. We see how he really asks why his life is the way he it is.  He rises.  He falls, He realizes what matters in life.  But so does Eins.  She eventually comes to see Zwei's philosophy to be better suited for her then the bland one offered to her by Scythemaster.  Even Cal, who is introduced later on, grows up as well.  If you want a series that offers alot of character development, watch this one.  It is central to the whole plot.  I liked how it was an adult series, swearing, but only when it made real sense.  Overall, I think this was a very thought-out, well crafted series.  

Dislikes - My main complaint is the animation style.  It is so plan that I was turned off by it.  I thought Phantom was another generic series about who-knows-what.  I'm glad I stuck around because it was worth the pay off.  Another complaint I have is about the ending.  What the hell happened????

Overall - I highly recommend this series.  It is a bit long but with so many characters running around, it could easily run longer.  I know I raved about Baccano! before but I think after you watch that, make the effort to see this one.  You won't be disappointed.  5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment