Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: Clubhouse BFD (food)

So I'm trying something new.  I do a lot of reviews for entertainment and I think I should try something outside of that.  This is my first restaurant review.  I've been wanting to do this since the beginning of the year but haven't had much chance to go out anywhere new.  That changed this week when my friend Lee invited myself and another friend out to this new place.

Sweet totato tots and dipping sauce.
(unwanted onions not included)
Atmosphere -  I really dug this place.  It had a hodge-podge feel to it, yet had a lot more focus then some other places.  The inner ceiling had various globes faded from years of existing.  Animal heads were hung near the bar like a hunting lodge.  My fav was a cabinet with the major Star Wars players all standing together in 3.5" plastic glory.  Unlike the absolute randomness of Applebee's, there was Americana all around on the walls but with an overall message - "This is who we really are." I dug it.
The bar staff was more then helpful and attentive.  The bar keep even asked some guys to move over so I could join my friends.  That was a first for me.  It really showed me how laid back and accepting they are.

Food -  I tried  garlic herb chicken dish, along with some sweet potato tots and a mead as the beverage.

The tots were great.  I am a big sucker for anything sweet potato.  Remember that if I ever come over for dinner!  There were just like regular tots but had a slight sweetness at the end.  It was subtle but still there.  And disappeared quickly.  Its a fresh take on such a staple.  It came with a spicy dipping sauce to boot.  I can see the contrast they were going for.  I don't think it was necessary though.  The tots can stand on their own.

So pretty you just wanna eat it up!
While waiting for my meal to come,  I decided to try the Zombie Killer, based solely on the name.  Come on, you can't blame a guy, right?  After taking a sip though, my silly gamble paid off in spades.  This mead was such a great discovery.  I've never tried mead before, so my only comparison I can make is to beers and liquor.  It was a bright vibrant taste and had a really clean finish.  I didn't write any notes on the tastes (my bad) but I know that I enjoyed it so much that I got a second.

After not too long a wait, my food came,  A roasted garlic herb chicken with grilled asparagus and potato wedges. Everything was cooked great, to perfection even.  The chicken was breaded, a welcomed surprise, and cooked in Au Jous.  I have to admit the Au Jous was a bit much for me.  If you are really into it, then this is for you.  If not, you may want to try another dish.  My only complaint overall is I felt all my items were a bit too salty.  I'm not much for salt, so if the cook is heavy on it, I notice.  It was to the point I couldn't enjoy the meal fully.

Price - I have to preface this topic before getting into it.  I grew up poor, living on fast food dollar menus for a while.  And for most of my life, I've been without money.  So I am inherently cheap, as a survival tactic.  So my view is a bit biased.

They gave me a chalice! Kinda...
Overall, the prices are a bit higher then I would have expected but still acceptable.  Almost all their beers on tap, over 30 I think, are all craft and local brews.  That stuff isn't cheap and it shows.  But still within reason.  For the food, they had items that fell within a good price range.  From a snack to a full course meal, they have something to offer to everyone.

Overall - I know you may not think it, but I highly recommend this place.  I wanna go back myself.  To try some different entrees they have, to try some different beers, and get a better feel for the place.  For my first time, I walked away with an experience that I wanna have again.  The place offers  a unique feeling of "This is a special place for you and your friends".  A big selection of beers, food, and overall good times.  I say give this place a shot, at least once.  I plan on going back myself.  And soon!

1 comment:

  1. I want to go back and try a Zombie Killer for myself! Nice review. I love that Stef's onions snuck their way into your review. lol. "Timmy!..... Gimmie on of your tots".

    ReplyDelete