Saturday, March 3, 2012

Review: Joe the Barbarian (graphic novel)

Joe the Barbarian is a Vertigo title from 2010.  In a list I read for best comics in 2010, this one was mentioned as being one of the top 10.   After getting some recommendations on Amazon, I decided to try this one out.

Joe the Barbarian is about Joe, a young boy with Type 1 Diabetes.  While at home during a storm, Joe's blood sugar gets dangerously low.  At this point ,Joe begins to hallucinate and falls into a fantasy world populated by familiar characters - his toys and his drawings.  As he arrives in this new world, he is believed to be "the Dying Boy", the one prophesied to save the world from Lord Death.  He blindly moves forward on a quest, whose consequences spill over into the real world.

Likes - At first, I wasn't really getting enticed reading this one.  I felt forced to get reading it.  By about half way though, on chapter 4, is when I felt compelled to move forward.  I'm not sure if I was getting to know the characters or the story but I wanted to know what was going to happen next.  The story was fun as well as tried and true.   The most fun was seeing how the hallucinations would match up with the real world, seeing Joe go back and forth constantly trying to figure out was happening.
There was a very big cast in this one.  I felt that there was just enough space and time to let each one develop in their own way  Not only did Joe eventually figure his way out, but so did the Dwarf Prince and Jack the Juggler.  I'm sure with extra issues, more time could have been spent on these guys. Still, the current length was enough to feel like a good pay off.
Lastly, I enjoyed the happy ending.  I wasn't too surprised but it tied things up nicely and left a big smile on my face
Also, my edition came in a nice neat hardcover.  Score!

Dislikes - There wasn't anything in particular that I didn't enjoy about this book.  I thought it was a fun quick read.  I am glad I did buy the collected edition and not the single issues.  I might not have thought the waiting between releases was worth it.

Overall - I think it is a very good comic.  I enjoyed it.  I am left rather blank on how to convey my thoughts though.  It was a good read for what it was, but I think there may be better books out there to spend your money.  For fans of The Lord of the Rings and the like, this is a great novel to snatch.  For others, you may not miss out on not reading this one.  Overall 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment