Monday, July 4, 2011

Review: Super 8

It's the 4th of July and I had nothing to do.  I decided to venture out into public for my usual movie fix instead of simply staying in.  I heard alot of good things about this one and it already had peaked my interest.  I'm glad I went but I wouldn't have missed out much if I didn't

Super 8 follows a group of kids.  We see them trying to film their entry into the local film festival.  They end up catching a train derailment in their small Ohio town.  Things spiral out into a massive conspiracy trying to cover up a discovery that would change the course of humanity.

Likes - I liked this film a fair amount.  The kids that comprise the main cast are cute and endearing.  I think it was a good choice to have the middle schoolers be our eyes and ears, witnessing the insanity that would unfold in this film.  I like the later half of this film a good amount.  A lot of the plot elements were finally coming together.  I also liked seeing how a small town became a massive war zone.  I also enjoyed how the lack of screen time for a key element gave the film a much more intense feeling

Dislikes - I didn't like how long it took for the movie to really evolve into the kind of movie it was meant to be.  I appreciated the effort to make a Sci-fi movie more human but I think a lot of the Sci-fi feel was lacking in the early part.  I know some might argue that its a sliding scale, as it became more Sci-fi it became less about the kids.  Still though, I think they could've done a bit more.

Overall - I enjoyed this film.  It's definitely one I wanted to see, whether in the theatre or on DVD.  I think I could've waited though.  I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment