Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: Kill the Irishman


My friend Jaysen highly recommended this film.  I took his advice and was very pleased I did.

Kill the Irishman follows the story of real life thug Danny Greene.  Greene was avid reader and a hard worker.  He begin his career in crime but muscling his way into being the union president of this factory, trying to stand up for the people who work in the massive death trap.  His way of getting what he wanted, for himself and his crewmen, made him much loved and respected.  This wasn't enough for Greene though.  He continued down the path of power, greed, and respect

Like - I really like this film.  Much more then I was expecting.  Knowing the film is based on true life events makes it that much more interesting.  The acting is very strong with these B-listers.  I was really pleased.  The plot though ultimately drives this film.  In a strange way, it reminds me of Walk the Line, but for crime, not music.  Overall great.  I liked this film so much that I'm making sure to write about it, despite having seen it 2 weeks ago.

Dislikes - There wasn't anything overt that I disliked.  This was a solid film - solid plot solid acting solid cinematography.  But it lacks that certain edge that makes it amazing.

Overall - Great film.  For fans of Godfather, Scarface, or anything crime/mob film, you have to see this.  For those who are indifferent to the genre, still watch this because it's well enough to stand on it's own.  4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment