Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Giant Mechanical Man (film)

Look it up on IMDB



For this week, I was trying really hard to write a new review.  My problem was I had no idea what to write.  There wasn't anything specific calling out to me.  So after spending way too much time debating and comparing, I picked The Giant Mechanical Man.  It didn't seem particularly interesting, but it had Jenna Fischer in it, and Netflix had guessed I would give it 4 stars.  So I took the gamble.

Janice, played by Jenna Fischer
The Giant Mechanical Man, directed by Lee Kirk, stars Jenna Fischer as Janice and Chris Messina as Tim.  Two 30-somethings trying to figure out how to fit in the world, if they do at all.  Tim is a street performer, trying to find a way to make a living from his one talent.  At her wits end, Tim's girlfriend leaves him, forcing Tim into a state of confusion and aimlessness.  Janice is trying to figure out where she can do any good for the world.  Fired from the temp agency she works at and evicted from her tiny city apartment, she is forced to stay in her sister's house.  The sister tries to set her up with a pompous author (Topher Grace). Tim and Janice, both down on their luck, get jobs at the zoo.  Soon a friendship begins budding and eventually blooms into a full romance.

Chris Messina as Tim
Good - This film was very enjoyable.  I actually was dreading watching this.  Based on the plot description, I was expecting a grown up version of Tiny Furniture.  Which I loathed.  Instead, I was treated to some great performances by Fichser and Messina.  They both were very charming and endearing, key traits you need in a movie like this.  It's the difference between the audience loving or hating you.  You really feel for them and want them to be happy, no matter what it takes.  Quite an acting feat.
Another really great trait about this film was the plot and direction.  Janice and Tim are both genuinely confused why people can be so callous and mean.  Kirk was really able to show that.  We see the world though Janice and Tim's eyes, as opposed to seeing something else, and thinking both of them are just overly sensitive.  We see how careless people can be with their words. The plot was rewarding in its ability to maintain some pleasant tension.  In a way, there are two stories going on, but both involve Janice and Tim.  It's fun and exciting to watch how things shake out for them.
Lastly, it's not explicitly said, but the filmed was shot on location in Detroit and Royal Oak.  So being the local Detroiter I am, it was fun trying to see where they were. 
Janice and Tim enjoying each other's company
Bad - For the mood I was in and the expectations I had beforehand, I was very pleasantly surprised with The Giant Mechanical Man.  I have nothing negative to say.

Working away at the (Royal Oak) zoo
Overall - I recommend this film.  It's fun, uplifting, hopeful and a really good date movie.  It is nothing ground breaking or award winning but is rewarding to watch.  The Giant Mechanical Man should be in your queue and watched at some point.  Soon, for you love birds celebrating Valentine's day!  4 out of 5 stars. 

Similar To - Juno, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, (500) Days of Summer, Garden State

No comments:

Post a Comment