Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (film)



The Perks of Being a Wallflower had recently become available on Netflix.  A close friend had seen it in theaters and highly enjoyed it.  He had read the book many years ago, regaling how he literally couldn't put the book down and read the whole thing in one sitting.  The movie, he opined, was a very good adaptation, which was to be expected.  The author not only transcribed the screenplay but also directed the film.  This was as close as any project would get to be the original author's intended vision.  With all that on the plate, along with a darling Emma Watson, I decided to give it a go.  It took some time but I ended up quite enjoying this one. 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows Charlie.  Charlie has just entered the social hell that is High School.  Still reeling from the suicide of his best friend and his own struggle with depression, he sees high school as another punishment for existence.  He casually befriends Patrick, who in turn leads him to his stepsister Sam.  Charlie learns to navigate the world slowly, finding himself in taxing situations he is emotionally unprepared for.  It's a coming-of-age tale for those who are already broken to begin with.

Good - This was a both heartbreaking and heartwarming film.  We know Charlie is struggling right away. That he hasn't figured things out quite as fast as those around him.  And not because he is slow but because he is able to see the grander picture before most others.  Charlie has been dealt some crushing blows, all relatively close to each other.  Still, you root for him.  He hasn't given up.  He is trying and he puts himself out there.  That's more then I do now.   You come to admire him and the simple triumphs he has.  The movie follows his first year in high school and the plot mirrors that in a realistic way.  He has his first crush and then his first girlfriend later.  He goes to the Sadie Hawkins Dance.  He sees his new friends graduating.  It makes the film more true to life. 
I most enjoyed the end.  I was asking at points "So when does the good stuff start happening?" Maybe I didn't get the movie but that was how I felt.  Still, the movie got me to come around near the end.  Things were wonderfully put together.  The story quickly became very real but yet very hopeful too.

Bad - The movie was a bit slow going into it.  I was multitasking while I was watching to so I thought maybe I was simply being distracted.  Once I had finished up though, I still felt a disconnection.  The characters are quite unique and real but something was missing.  Near the end though, I felt much more into the movie and really enjoyed it.  If nothing else, just be prepared for a slightly slow start. 
The gang enjoying their final school day of the year
Overall - I enjoyed The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  It took a little time for it to build up but it came together quite well in the end.  The placing and foreshadowing were subtle and well placed.  I also enjoyed who the resolutions came about near the end, one after another.  It gave time for each climax to hit and land and settle before going on to the next one.  If you're feeling down or lost, I say this is the film for you.  It's honest and hopeful, insightful and inspiring, all in a delicate and raw voice. 4 out of 5 stars. 
Similar To: The Breakfast Club, Daydream Nation,

No comments:

Post a Comment