Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: The Skull Man


This was a recommendation to me by Hulu.  With the name "The Skull Man", how could I say no?

This 13-episode subbed anime is about a small remote town and a conspiracy it hides within itself.  A conspiracy related to murder and monsters.

First of all, this series has one of the absolute worst opening theme songs I've ever heard.  I seriously was turned off just by hearing it.  The series itself was not exactly what I was expecting.  I was expecting something full of action and blood.  The blood was there, but not as much as expected.  This series was more of suspense then horror or action.  This was also an anime where I was able to figure out alot of the mysteries before they were revealed to the audience.  I contribute this to the fact I was trying extra to figure the plot out.  I didn't allow the series to get me there.  Also, the explaination (or lack of) for the demons and the Skull Man were not clear at all.  For a series whose sights were pointed at answering this question, it fell completely short.  Maybe if the series was longer it could have pursued more topics properly but that just didn't happen.  Overall, I don't recommend this anime.  I pushed thru hoping the end would justify the series.  And while the action and blood did escalate, it wasn't enough to make up for an ultimately disappointing series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment