Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: Oldboy


I've known of this film for years to be the ultimate revenge flick.  After my friend Lee watched this, fate would have it that it would also be the next movie in my own Netflix queue.

The film is about a man who is abducted and imprisoned for 15 years.  Once he is mysteriously released, he goes on a quest to find his faceless captors and discover the reason why they would inflict such a cruel torment.

Likes: This movie was great! The plot was superb, though some keys points seem a bit random.  Overall though I think this was a masterful work of revenge.  The cinematography was great too.  In particular, there was a fight sequence set in a hallway that was captured in a simple yet elegant way.  It was realistic in its approach, which I admired.  The transformation of the main character was a great theme too.  It was graphic, to extent to, which I think helps with the overall brutality and theme of the film.

Dislikes:  At times, the music added a bit too much drama to the scenes.  Also, it did seem to drag.  This was a rarity.  That's really it though.

Overall:  Phenomenal Film.  I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.  5 stars.  Watch it now!

2 comments:

  1. The hallway fight scene was so good. If I recall it was all one continuous shot without any cuts which added to the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. Thats what made it so good! I especially liked the fact he did half the fighting with a knife in his back.

    ReplyDelete