Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: The Social Network

The Social Network -
Staring Jesse Eisenberg
Directed by David Fincher
Music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
A film about Facebook, one of the biggest and most interesting success stories of our generation.  Need I say more as to why I chose this film?

This film is about the start and rise of Facebook, Mark Zuckerburg and a the new era of internet creativity and business.

Likes - The music is amazing, both alone, which I listened to extensively, and as an accompaniment to the movie.  It added depth to the film.  I am biased since I love NIN.  Jesse Eisenberg is amazing in this.  He plays such a cool, smart jerk who knows what he wants and goes after it, damned be the consequences or the nay-sayers.  My personal opinion, I think the real Mark Zuckerburg could never be this cool, this slyly mean.  Jesse is great.  I also love the dialogue.  This is great for Kevin Smith fans.  There is so much fast talking, the relevant words get lost with the ones that are pointless but witty banter.

Dislikes - Eh, nothing.

Overall - This film was absolutely great.  Other people find Mark (the character) to be a douchebag and reprehensible, but I admire him.  He did what he, and only he, could do.  And he knew it.  Its a shame that he lost what few friends and colleagues he had. But if he cared, he would have made an effort.  Mark had an idea, had the guts to see it through and the people who got stepped on did whatever they could to get revenge.  It's the modern American success story.  And this story was given to the right people who did it justice.

I really enjoyed the ultimate theme.  This guy, who created this life changing network based on friends, had no means of holding on to even one.

No comments:

Post a Comment