Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: The Changeling


So while talking about 'The Changling' staring Angelina Jolie from a few years back, a friend recommended this film to me. Mainly because he kept confusing the two.

The premise a man loses his wife and daughter in a terrible freak accident.  In there aftermath, he tries to cope.  This leads him to start living in an old historical house.  WHICH HAPPENS TO BE HAUNTED!!! AHHHHHH!!!!  So he goes on a quest to see why his house is to irritable.

I'll be frank and honest, I wasn't totally paying attention to the film as it was playing.  So my opinion isn't that invested or credible.  Here is what I noticed though.  I think the film had a good pacing. Things didn't seem to jump around too abruptly.  The plot was pretty coherent and intelligent.  The film is from 1980, so there are some camera angles that seem silly and cliched.  Surprisingly though, as the story progressed, I started paying attention more.  When it comes to hauntings in film, less is more.  Simply here a door close can give anyone chills.  This film understood that.  The effects weren't over the top but subtle, which worked to its favor.  The ending was a bit random but I'll let it slide.  In the end, I was impressed with how ahead of its time this film was.  I definitely would recommend this film, but only to those who appreciate subtly.  If you're looking for a fright fest, with tons of surprises, look else where.  Overall, 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment