Saturday, December 11, 2010

Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World



Before bed last night, I popped in this movie.  Bad idea.  I was so in love with this movie I wasn't able to stop it and pick it up later. I had to see if he got the girl!  Because I just watched it last night, it's not totally fresh with me.  Still it left a lasting impression.

This film is basically about a boy, a girl, and a league of evil exes trying to come between them.  It was very funny, very tounge-in-cheek, and very visually stunning. Based on Manga style comics, I think that feel and style transferred over very very well.  Frankly, I love this movie. 5 out of 5 stars.

One reason I loved this movie is the visual style. At times, it looked like an indie film with a nice gloss added to it, other times it looked like a comic book whose panels were given life.  Being an avid comic reader, I could distinctly see the panels being played out live.  Another reason I loved this movie is the plot.  Personally, I think the plot makes or breaks a film.  Not actors or effects but plot.  If you have a good story, people will see it.  With that said, the plot here is pretty simple.  For Scott to even have a chance of dating the girl of his dreams, Ramona, he must fight and defeat her 7 evil exes.  Sounds ridiculous right?  Thankfully the film is aware of it as well and thus doesn't take itself to seriously.  Despite that, the past of both Scott and Ramona make the situation more then just a string a battles.  Questions arise as to whether the fight is worth it. Fears arise within them both about Scott becoming the very people he must battle.  If you go in not expecting too much weight, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The humor is spot on for those into pop culture, pulp comics, and general silliness.  I find it in league with possibly Super Troopers and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Possibly.

Overall, I love this film.  So much so, I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray when I'm able.  You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment